Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Outlaw: Varjak Paw

I just read the sequel to "Varjak Paw" (see review below). It was as interesting and fun as the first one. This second book was even darker than the first, all about gang warfare, leadership and the underbelly of the city -- literally. The illustrations are very cool, very edgy, done by Dave McKean. Below are the illustrations from the first book:

The illustrations from the second book are darker and funkier than the first book. Definitely worth looking at to see the possibilities for creating illustrated books for older readers.

6 comments:

Fossfor said...

thanks for visiting and the link to my blog! I had never heard of the Varjak Paw books before, although I like Dave McKean. these cat drawings are fantastic, beautiful feline shapes, I'd like to read them.
Glad you liked Siamese planet, I hope to update it soon, but have been working on a new site of Piggy comics which eats up all my time :)

Lea said...

thanks for your lovely comment....im loving this blog here...great read and wonderful pics... i'm off to read david weisner's creative process!

Loni Edwards said...

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog! I love these three peices. The movement in the one cat is right on. The inking on all is really fantastic. Nice job!

L. A. Stern said...

Hi Loni,

I wish I could take credit for the cat sketches but they are the work of Dave McKean, the illustrator on the book I reviewed on this post.

But thanks for visiting. Come back again!

Linda

dex mission said...

Dave Mckean is the illustrator that made me want to do comics. I remember walking in the rain, 18 years old right after i saw arkham asylum. i didnt think a medium can be pushed as far as he did.

thank you for your kind comments. im looking forward to see more of your work posted. thanks again!

turcios curriculum said...

ESTO ME GUSTA MUCHO!!